Sunday, August 28, 2005

Southend On Sea


(Blogger's note: I wrote this over a month before Rachel Fuller mentioned that she had grown up in Southend in Essex. I chose this blog title randomly when I first put it up)

I am starting to really miss England. When I find LP covers like this it reminds me of all the adventures I could be having on the little green roads. is it too much to ask God, the world, the Fairy Queen(s) to let me live like Bilbo in a little cottage near Derwentwater?

I'm actually not too aware of the history of Badfinger, hopefully this happy fellow is still with us and finding joy even in columbariums. I realize that if he has departed then that sounds a bit ironic but I become more and more British as I write this.
Golder's Green was the first place I went on my very first trip to England May 1st 1997. Blair had just been elected and it was REALLY hot. A bloke in a full tux helped me find the markers of Marc Bolan, Peter Sellers, Anna Pavlova, Bram Stoker, Freud, Sir John Tenniel and finally Moonie's 'Out Here In The Dispersal Fields.' It is such a lovely place. Brighton is calling too how can I forget being the only straight woman at a Gay BnB and then pretending I was Lesbian to 'fit in!'
It was Bank Holiday weekend and for the first time on British radio. I heard The Who singing 'I'm The Face' as I walked by where the old Brighton Aquarium had once been chaneling those halcyon days of the four WHO ruled. I met Dan Hardie whom I've lost contact with now and he and his partner Steve who kindly let me stay at their flat in New Cross while I looked for work...so much to remember. It was like an adventure around every corner. I gained almost a stone when I was there because I loved the food and it was the coldest June on record . People who claim they hate British food are liars...Oasis was big then and I spent over a hundred quid to see The Who perform Quadarophenia at Wembley. I was in the front row and I actually flirted with Entwistle.
Pete called the crowd "wankers" and Roger pointed my out to Simon as fresh front row meat, when he looked back at me I sneered at Roger-the man who would have my dream job and he laughed at me. Ashdown Forest calls too, Pooh stik Bridge and Tunbridge Wells....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home