Thursday, June 23, 2011

WON'T YOU JOIN THE DANCE!!??


In light of recent current pop culture events and trends I've decided to shift the focus of this blog from my usual eclecticism to a radical single focus. I've watched as many bloggers have braved goal oriented projects and I've also noticed how many bloggers have a somewhat strict format.

I'm ready for both.

I'm aware that in the six years I've had this blog, I've missed one key potential that blogging has which is knowledge and the dissemination thereof in a positive manner. For someone who performs, parents, travels, rants and writes I've only just skimmed the surface-not any more.

So to that cheesy physical education teacher back in High School who argued for all us toffee nose teens to "Set a goal, make a plan, see that goal through..." I'm going the distance now coach.

And why? Because following the drunk driving death of Jackass star Ryan Dunn I was appalled to read the words of some of the hundreds of thousands, dare I say millions of people who will not only defend but who identify with such hateful, deadly destructive garbage "culture." I use quotes because a franchise, a show, a film, a human being that feeds on destruction and stupidity is just that- stupidity incarnate and not culture in an artistic sense. More people were mourning Dunn and not so much disregarding but actually taking pride in the fact he was drunk, drove and killed himself and another (eg: "...we all do it, like you never have?") than were rejoicing in the life of Clarence Clemons-a true artist with an amazing history.


I'm now taking action in my corner of the internet.

A true artist with an unparalleled history I will now be celebrating, challenging, chronicling, reaching out to, exploring, relearning, critiquing, learning from and shouting about. I'm also going to physically experience many of the same things he has-physical, mental and visual extremes are fast becoming the realm of the mindless these days and we can't have that. Best to reclaim when we still can. I've been out of school for some time have to learn from the best and he is unequivocally one of the worlds greatest living creative geniuses and a national treasure to England and the cosmos. Himself a lavish visual biographer of other artists he's NEVER backed down on what he'll create, give to the universe and what effect it will have.

In fact recently Death backed down from him.

Just as the great political artist Paul Robeson was known and revered all over the world while unapologetically provoking anger and controversy in his own country so does this artist. Fans love him the world over but harsh detractors here in England have tried to erase him, ignore him and marginalize and they have failed miserably in the process. He gave so much to England so it is simply shameful along with an honorary Academy Award which is two decades overdue. Largely through this man's unwavering devotion the world rediscovered Elgar and I found Sea Pictures, Elgar's beautiful song cycle for contraltos. Because of him there is occasionally some full frontal ding dong swinging action for the ladies when we go to the movies. This man has helped make the world less tight ass not more jack ass. And, I have no shame in admitting, in 2000 I unsuccessfully 'auditioned' with hundreds of other applicants online to be this man's wife. (He's sexy as hell and I was very young and crazy so how could I resist?) Fate brought him a wonderful and beautiful fan who'd he'd met years before as a film student (and eventually I found my Kevin :) His lovely wife's kindness and openness makes the germination of my project largely possible. Thanks in advance to both of them.

So wish me luck and watch this blog.

-Super Amanda 22-6-20111

Patron Muse of my project is the master dancer, Ballerina, Yogi and Gyrotonics trainer Leslie Schickel, (click on the link and wait) who co-owns Adaptogen Healing Arts Salon in San Francisco. Lesile is the most amazing, inspiring and focused artist that I've ever known personally and had the pleasure of learning from. If she'd been born in the 50's she'd have been cast in many of this man's films. I Love you Leslie.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger par.nordstrom said...

Fine post , Amanda ! / I shall limit meself to sayin a few words abt da deaths of ´Big Man ´ Clemmons & Dunn : I reacted just as u did .Since WHEN did drunk drivers becum heroes ?What´s happenin to our Western World when we downrite appplaud dis kinda behavior , such a truly ASSinine death. Le´s remember : Not only was Dunne self-destructive, he was DESTRUCTIVE as well. He took another person´s life along wid his own .But da passin of Dunn ( a person who won his fame by fallin on his head a 1000 times + fartin in public ) was trumpeted all over da net , while ´Big Man ´ Clemmon´s death( a hugely gifted artist wid a heart as huge as his talent ) went more or less unnoticed . Well,I guess dat´s brave new world for ye...
I know I sound like an ole stiff & a preacher man . Probably cos I AM an ole stiff & a preacher man. Fine post , Amanda ! / I shall limit meself to sayin a few words abt da deaths of ´Big Man ´ Clemmons & Dunn : I reacted just as u did .Since WHEN did drunk drivers becum heroes ?What´s happenin to our Western World when we downrite appplaud dis kinda behavior , such a truly ASSinine death. Le´s remember : Not only was Dunne self-destructive, he was DESTRUCTIVE as well. He took another person´s life along wid his own .But da passin of Dunn ( a person who won his fame by fallin on his head a 1000 times + fartin in public ) was trumpeted all over da net , while ´Big Man ´ Clemmon´s death( a hugely gifted artist wid a heart as huge as his talent ) went more or less unnoticed . Well,I guess dat´s brave new world for ye...
I know I sound like an ole stiff & a preacher man . Probably cos I AM an ole stiff & a preacher man.

Have happy Midsummer now , Amanda+ CHEEEERS ! ( :

6:02 AM  
Blogger Amanda and SuperAmanda™ said...

Happy Midsommer to you Par! SO TRUE!!! Great pots one yer best ;)

2:54 PM  
Blogger grace said...

I missed this post.
I was pleased to read you mentioned the amazing Clarence. Being a big Bruce and E-street fan.

I am glad you have set a goal, I think its terrific.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home